So, daddy's been really busy with work lately...
About six months back he was promoted to "project leader." This does not entail any sort of pay increase, but does entail lots of extra work and stress. What's extra stressful is that the training program (for new project leaders) has been eliminated, so Vassil is having to learn everything as he goes--everything from paperwork and spreadsheets, to deadlines, to go-to contacts and protocol. That's a lot to learn on the fly, so I know he's been a little stressed, but at the same time I know he's doing great. And even with all the extra stress and work, I can tell he loves it. And it's one step closer to the next pay increase, which is what I know he's working toward.
Anyway, with the new responsibilities, means he also has had to do some traveling. When his big project was due to start up, the higher ups decided they wanted Vassil to travel to the site (Cork, Ireland) to be there for the launch. He was only away for 5 days, which meant he only was in Cork for 2.5 days! But, I guess it was important for him to be there. And he will be returning a few more times later this year to oversee some things.
Anyway, when daddy was away, the kids did so great. I was worried they would miss him and be cranky. But they really didn't say too much about missing him (I kept them busy!), and overall did a really great job. I picked up this Celtics jacket at the goodwill one day. It's a little small, but for $1 I couldn't pass it up. Every morning when we headed to preschool, I'd put it on Liam, and tell him it said "Ireland" and that's where daddy is, and that it's green, and that green is for Ireland. He must have been listening, because one day at pick up the teachers told me he'd kept telling them about his jacket and how it said Ireland, and how that's where his daddy was, and that it was green for Ireland--lol!
Sissy did a great job helping make a surprise pictures for daddy when he came home. Lately, she's really been into drawing houses. This was the one she made--I asked her why there were 5 faces. I guess the little one is Bella. Even though the kids did GREAT while he was away, I know they missed him, and were SO excited when he came home!
Daddy told us lots about Ireland--sounds like SUCH a cool place! I kinda wish the kids were a little older so we could all go. Although, the roads sounded a little scary--Vassil said he was bracing for impact every time a car was coming from the other direction... the roads are VERY narrow, and where a shoulder *should* be, a stone wall was instead--so no room for error. And of course, they drive on the opposite side, which was equally challenging.
As kind of an aside (and I know Vassil will kill me for writing this), but along with getting the new promotion, this year, and getting to do some traveling, he's also received several awards for his chemistry. And not long after coming home from Cork, he came home with a letter in his hand and asked me to read it. It was yet another award! Vassil is SO humble and always says he doesn't really know how or why he keeps getting so many awards, and that it's the Lord doing. He would never admit it, but he is really good at what he does. And he works hard. And I know the Lord is blessing his hard work and his obedience to tithing. And to be honest, I am SO proud of him. Even if he didn't get the awards or the promotions, I'm such a proud wife! He works SO hard and really loves his job. How can I not be proud? And seeing him get recognized for his hard work does make me feel so happy--especially because I know that even if he won't admit it, it means a lot to him as well!
Anyway, one day Vassil mentioned having the kids come meet him at work for lunch. In the past when I've asked about taking the kids to his work, he's always kinda shunned the idea. I think he was afraid he could get in trouble. So when he offered for us to come... I was SO excited! And the kids were too! I think having never been to "daddy's work", this place always seemed like this big mysterious, allusive, ambiguous "thing" to the kids. We've told the kids that daddy is a chemist, and that he works in a lab, and has to mix chemicals to make medicine. And I hear them both say that from time to time. But in their minds, they still had no idea where he went every day. It was obvious to me that it was a big mystery, because at random places (the pharmacy, the gas station, the post office, abandoned warehouses, etc) the kids would ask if this was where daddy worked. So getting to actually see it and see daddy in action, I think it was SO neat for the kids!
Anyway, when we came in, we had to stop and check in first. The lady at the desk pointed to Liam and made the comment to Vassil, "You know he's your clone, right?" We get that a lot these days! Anyway, after checking in daddy took us on a tour of his lab. We couldn't actually go into the lab part, but we let the kids peek through the window.
Then daddy came out in his lab coat and goggles and showed the kids the beakers and flasks and test tubes. They thought it was pretty cool!
"Flasks, and beakers, and test tubes... oh my!"
I love the looks on their faces--I don't think they knew what to think of it!
Vassil's department recently moved into a new building. GSK recently joined up w/Stiefel (I can't remember if they got bought out or what), but in any case, Vassil's department is now in the Stiefel building. This is a GREAT thing! Stiefel has a big cafeteria in their building and other nice perks. Vassil's old building was actually condemned. Seriously. It was condemned. They weren't even supposed to be in it when they were--which is nuts! And now that they are out, they have demolished the old site. Crazy, huh?! So yeah, it's safe to say everyone is pretty happy in the new place.
At the entrance, they have some little displays set up... I had to laugh at the "freckle soap!"
Anyway, after checking out the lab, we then headed to their cafeteria. The kids brought their lunch bags, and we shared some burgers, fries, and pizza. So much fun! At the end we ran into buddy Kae--she let me know I needed to update the blog! So this one is for you, Kae! ;) The kids had a GREAT time at daddy's work, and as long as we don't get him in trouble, I would love to take the kids and meet up again. So, so much fun!
Here's Elizabeth trying out Daddy's goggles ;)
Anyway, when we'd finished lunch, daddy had to get back to work. I decided we were so close to the airport, that we really needed to check out this little observation park that I'd heard about where kids can watch the airplanes take off. So after saying goodbye to daddy, we headed over.
It was a small little park--with a sandbox and a climbing structure, and then a big observation deck for watching the planes. Liam LOVED seeing the planes. I have never heard him scream so loud or so high pitched as that day. Each time a plane took off, he'd scream with delight and run after it! Such joy!
Elizabeth loved the park and loved pretending she was an airplane on the little kiddie runway.
Liam did too!
The day was beautiful! Blue, sunny skies. It was warm, but w/a slight breeze, so really just the perfect temperature. We stayed and watched the planes for at least an hour before heading home.
It was funny too because as we were look out at the observation deck, Elizabeth saw the hanger for where they store the little planes (big warehouse looking building) and asked, "Is that daddy's work?" lol! I guess even after seeing it in person, it is still a little confusing. I think that means we will most definitely have to plan another lunch date soon!
Anyway, we are so proud of daddy and the work he does. We loved visiting him at work. And we hope his next trip goes as smooth as this one did!
Until then...




















