We hope you had a fun 4th of July!
I know we did!
On Saturday, we headed to a park near us that was having some special activities for the 4th, along with fireworks. The park also has rides for the kids. When we arrived, we decided to ride the train first.
It was really fun! The train takes you under a few tunnels and around the park. The kids really loved it. Elizabeth waved her flag out the side of the window to the people walking by.
Every time I looked back at Liam, he had this sort of uncertain, slightly scared, slightly excited look on his face. It was cute!
We were also surprised by something we saw on the train. Do you see it?
Yep... made in good ole Wichita Kansas!
After the train ride, we decided to check out some of the other rides.
The cool thing about the park is that all the rides are geared for little ones, and most rides have a height limit, which means no big kids or obnoxious teens hogging the lines. Plus, tickets are something like 50 cents, so it means you can ride a few things and not break the bank. Love it!

I think one of the neatest rides is this old Dentzel Carousel, which was hand carved and built in 1906 in Philadephia and purchased by the park way back in 1948. Pretty awesome!
One of our friends posted pics online of her kids riding the carousel the other day. I showed Elizabeth--and when we arrived, she HAD to find the bunny that Caroline was riding.
We tried to get Liam to go on a horse or a giraffe or some other animal. But I think he was a little skitish after the train ride, so he decided he just wanted to sit on the little bench with daddy.
Next up, the little cars. While waiting in line, Liam spotted the Wee-Woo. He HAD to have the Wee-Woo. Thankfully, the kids ahead of him picked other cars, so the kids were able to sit in the firetruck.
It was cute watching them go around the track together. Liam was honking the horn the entire time, and sissy was stearing like crazy!
Here's some video:
When it was all done... all the children got out and went through the gate to where their parents were waiting. Well, all but one. Can you guess who didn't want to get out?
Lol!
Next up, the boat ride. I was worried Liam was too little, so daddy took him to the playground right across the way while Sissy rode the boats.
Next up, the boat ride. I was worried Liam was too little, so daddy took him to the playground right across the way while Sissy rode the boats.
She did great!
Then while the boys were still busy at the park, we decided to do the airplanes. This one went way up high. This was like her first official big girl ride. She did great. But scared me half to death when half way through she took off her seat belt so she could put Clarice (her stuffed animal) in the seat behind her!!!
Next we met up daddy and Liam at the fountain, where the kids threw a penny a piece and made wishes. Elizabeth's went something like, "I wish with my whole heart to go to the land of Princesses." Lol! And I'm not sure what Liam's was, but he did a good job throwing his penny in.
Then Liam spotted the jumpy houses, and took off running!!!
He LOVES jumpy houses!
And Sissy does, too!
Weeeeeee!
We decided to head over to where the fireworks were going to be so we could stake out some good seats. I wanted to get a good pic of the two kids next to the pretty patriotic swags. I got a great one of Sis (at the top--isn't that the cutest pic ever?!) but Liam didn't want anything to do with posing.
And actually, Elizabeth didn't want to at first. I had to threaten with tickles before she gave me a smile.
After spreading out our blanket and chairs, we then decided to go check out some games.
For the kids they had watermellon eating competition, a watermellon seed spitting competition, along with sack races, and some other fun things.
Elizabeth tried her hand at the hula-hoop.
Liam kicked this ball ALL over the field. And both kids just LOVED running in circles and chasing each other out on the open green space.
Back to our blanket for some homemade icecream! Yum!
There were a few live bands that performed during the day, and that night a band played patriotic songs before and during the fireworks.
Here we are getting ready for them. Can you believe, this was the first time I'd taken both Elizabeth and Liam to see the fireworks?!
I was a little worried it might be too loud.
Or that they might get too tired.
But they both did GREAT!
They both ooohed and awwwed at the fireworks, and Liam was even giggling.
Although, a few minutes before the finale, Liam decided he'd had enough. He was tired, you could tell. He climbed into the stroller, buckled himself in, and said he was ready to go to the car.
We decided to wear our Patriotic outfits to church the next day.
My little sailor boy. They are both so cute!
On the actual 4th of July, I decided I'd cook a big meal, and then we'd let the kids do their fireworks.
That morning, Vassil took the kids swimming, and I did some cooking.
I was proud of my red, white, and blue strawberries.
OH, and I was VERY proud of myself for making an apple pie from scratch.
It was my first homemade apple pie. I don't know why, but we don't eat much pie. I need to change that! So yummy!
Daddy was also VERY proud of his grilled chicken.
I had planned to let the kids stay up until it was dark to do their sparklers. But a storm was headed our way, plus the kids really needed to get to bed on time. So we decided to do them a little early. I don't think the kids cared or knew any better.
Liam was VERY careful with his--lol! And daddy had a bucket of water ready for when they were done.
Anyway, that was our 4th of July.
I sure wish we could have spent it with our extended family. But I feel so blessed to have this little family of my own with whom I can celebrate!












