I wasn't sure what to expect with lessons, but thought at the very least, it would give us all some time a the pool. And even if she wouldn't do it (she can be pretty stubborn sometimes) or would only do it with her floaties on, well, then I figured, it would still be good exposure for next year. Plus, the location is super close and in a new neighborhood/development with really neat/fun facilities. So, with that, it was decided.
We arrived a little early and waited for the lifeguards to arrive to let us in. While we waited, I reminded Elizabeth that I just wanted her to do her best, and if the teacher wanted to take her out into the water but she felt nervous, to just tell her, "in a minute" instead of crying or getting upset. That seemed to click. Although, she told me she wasn't nervous and was ready for her lessons!
We waited pool side for everyone to arrive.
They were both pretty good about waiting. We could see the excavators and bulldozers in the far distance (the neighborhood is still being built, so there's lots of construction trucks), and that pacified Liam for a long while. He kept telling me he wanted to "drive a excavator, mom."
The instructor, Ms. Hannah, was so sweet and great with the kids. Here she is lining them up on the steps.
They worked on their kicks, and humming/blowing bubbles under water, and also did ring-around-the-rosies in the shallower side of the pool.
Liam sat with me and watched Sissy swim. "Yay Sissy!" we would say!
Seriously, check this girl out!!! She won't EVER do this for me. Nope. She usually panics that I'm going to drop her and starts to cry and cling to me.
But someone else having her do it seemed to make all the difference.
The teacher took her out several times. She never once seemed scared. Several times calling out, "My turn! I'm next!" And at the beginning, when they were in the shallow area, she was swimming all around on her belly and such... almost like she was showing off her moves. Lol!
About half way in, Liam got tired of watching Sissy and the excavators (hard to believe, I know!) And he started fussing about the big sprayground area and how he wanted to go there. After a few fits, though, class was finally over... and we headed over so he could swim, too.
He was a happy camper then!
He loves running out in the zero-entry area, and then floating on his belly... telling me, "I swimming! I swimming!" And actually, several of the kids in Elizabeth's class were his age (even younger) so he probably couldn't have gone too. I think we'll think about it for next year.
After spending some time at the pool, we then headed over to the sprayground.
So much fun!
Don't tell, but on Sunday evening, we were driving home from a nearby park, and we wanted to take a spin through this neighborhood and get out and let Elizabeth see the pool. We thought it might help prepare her. When we got there, some people were leaving the entrance to the pool, so we were able to get right in. There wasn't anyone at the desk, so Vassil convinced me to let the kids play. Of course, we didn't have suits, but we let them run with their clothes through the sprayers. They had SO much fun. I, of course, was petrified we were going to get caught or kicked out from swimming lessons. But thankfully, not. And seeing how neat and fun it was I think really helped!
Technically, I don't think we are supposed to stay after our lessons, either. But I figured until someone "confirmed" that, we'd just play for a little bit after our lessons. And if we get told we can't stay and play, then we'll abide by the rules.
Such a fun place! And so close to where we live! It's not everyday I can utter both of those statements--lol!
Anyway, after spending some time at the sprayers, we decided to hit the little pool one more time, and then head home for lunch.
So much fun! And best part... we will be back all week and next!
And with Nana, Grandpa Clay, and Aunt Maddie arriving on Wednesday, we will have an extra set of hands to help with Liam while Sis takes her lessons!
Yipee!!!











