March 25, 2010

Farm Animal Day

Our preschool co-op group decided to take a field trip to the annual Farm Animal Day at a local university field lab. The day is geared for preschool-aged groups, so it was really perfect for our kiddos--and lots of fun!
Here are some of the girls in our group. I love how no one is looking at the camera! Lol! As you can see, we are in the process of getting the whole group matching green t-shirts with the Dr. Seuss logo "Oh, the Places you'll go" (thanks to Deanna's creativity and hard work!!!) We figured they'd be easier to spot that way and make it easier on us.
I don't think I've blogged about our co-op, yet. In case you are wondering, we are basically a group of 12 moms who get together 1x per month for a MNO, where we plan a "curriculum." I got the idea from my friend Deanna, and decided to send out an email to see if anyone else would be interested. I kinda thought everyone would think I was nuts and not have much interest. Boy was I wrong! 100% of the moms I contacted have joined the group, and since that time we've already added 3 moms! 
Anyway, at our MNO we each sign up for one theme and then plan ~3 activities to go with the theme and make copies for everyone in the group, and provide the necessary supplies. This saves us time because although we are only planning for ~half a week of activities, we walk away w/over a month or more of lessons/activities that are ready-to-go and at your fingertips (similar to a casserole swap). During this rough winter, the activities were especially helpful!!! I know we were getting a bit cooped up each day. So to have things already planned and ready to go was a lifesaver each day! And Elizabeth REALLY enjoys our "activity" time each day. Our group also plans field trips that connect to what we are are studying. The Farm Animals Day fit perfectly with our Spring/Baby Animals unit!
My favorite part from the field trip was getting to hold the baby chicks (above). Elizabeth got to hold one of her own as well! She did a great job! They also got to check out bunnies, cows and baby calves, horses/foals, goats/kids, sheep/lambs, and pigs. Afterward, there was ice-cream made from the cows on the farm.
Below is Elizabeth inside the Pig Pen. All the kids were waiting around the outside of the pen for their turn to go in and pet the pigs (who were in the corner). It cracked me up because when Elizabeth got to go, she was running around and playing with the hay, totally oblivious to the fact that there were pigs to pet. I think she thought it was just a treat to go inside the gated area--lol! Finally someone pointed out the pigs to her, and she got to pet them. Still, it was so funny! It's amazing what thrills a preschooler... they didn't even need pigs! Lol!
Liam seemed to have a good time, too. He was a little overwhelmed at first by the shear number of people (it was very crowded), so I had to hold him a good part of the time. But he was very curious about the animals, especially the chicks. It was funny, at one point I was trying to show him the baby pigs, "Look Liam! Do you see the pigs?" To which he says "Ball." I continue, "No, not a ball... these are pigs." To which he again says, "Ball." Using the ASL sign for pig, I continue pointing and signing the word "Pig." To which he starts pointing and saying "Ball! Ball!" I'm about to get discouraged, but I finally look down to where he is pointing, and sure enough, there's a little red ball on the ground. Lol!
I love this picture! "Surprise!" Miss Savannah is exactly 1 month older than Liam and they are in the same nursery class at church! I think she is even more laid back than he is... I don't think I've ever heard that girl fuss! She is almost always happy!
 
It was SO cute because on our way into the Farm, Liam kept waving at every person who would walk by from his stroller. He really has the waving thing down pat, and the past few weeks every time ANYONE says "Hi" or "Bye-Bye" he instantly starts waving! It's adorable! He's really understanding so much these days and picking up so many words... Ball, Car, Up, Mama, Dada, Bella, and he tries to say Sissy. Often times when he uses the sign for all done, he will say something like "Ahhhhh-doo!" I also think he's working on the word "Door." Whenever I open or close a door, it's "Do! Do"  And a few times when he's dropped something, we've heard "Uh-oh" only that one hasn't happened a lot, so the jury is out on that one. His baby language has evolved too... it sounds more like a foreign language these days. He will point his little finger at something and just jabber jabber. He really is trying to have conversations with us! It is so much fun! Still not crawling. But he has learned to scoot around a bit and pivot. I don't think it will be long now.
All in all it was another fun trip to the farm!
I can't wait for our next field trip!