March 16, 2010

9 Months Old!


Liam had his 9 month Well Baby Checkup today... 
here's what we learned:


Height:  29.25'' (80%-tile)
Weight:  18.96lbs (23%-tile--surprising because he is all CHUNK!)
Head: 18.11'' (70%-tile)

During the exam, we talked a lot about how Liam is still not crawling, no where near pulling up, and not wanting to bear weight on his legs. Honestly, I'm not worried about him not crawling--lots of kids don't crawl, and honestly, he just doesn't seem to have much of an interest. The lack of muscle tone, however, and not wanting to bear weight on his legs (I refer to them as little noodles) does have me a little concerned. So I was sure to bring it up at the appointment.

At any rate, the doctor did a thorough exam and said she didn't think anything was wrong, and even felt his leg muscles were actually pretty strong--he just doesn't want to use them. During the appt. he did his typical, feet up in the air move, when the doctor would try to get him to stand. But when she was able to get him standing, she felt his muscle tone was good and nothing to worry about with that regard. She was very impressed with his fine motor skills and his pincer grasp; she said she was surprised it was so good since he isn't crawling yet and getting into things. She was also impressed with his language skills--half way through the exam, "Up!, Up!" he said w/finger pointed! LOL! To his demands to be held, the doctor then asked if I hold him a lot, and maybe that's the cause for his delay in crawling. I told her I honestly didn't think I held him any more than I held his sister, in fact, I probably hold him less because a lot of times I have to get his sister ready, change her diaper, or deal with her tantrum/problems/etc. and so he is often left to fuss on the floor a lot more than she ever did. So I don't think that's the problem. Honestly, I just don't think he has an interest in crawling--he's very happy and content to sit in one spot, suck his little thumb, and check everything out! And when he wants something, he's very good about rolling to get to what he wants and where he wants to go.

Anyway, the doctor said that if he wasn't making any progress by 11 months, that she would refer us to a developmental specialist, but she added that she didn't think it would be needed--from observing him she predicts he will start scooting on his bottom before crawling, and will probably be scooting before too long, and not to worry! After this appointment I feel much better, and am glad to know he's doing well in every way! It is such a tremendous blessing to have such healthy children--I thank God every. single. day. for that blessing!