April 01, 2009

Happy Birthday, Bella-Boo!

It's hard to believe Bella turns 3 today! We don't technically know her birthday, just the general time the shelter believes she was born... but we go with April 1, seeing how that seems to fit her "fool"ish personality!

Anyway, to celebrate I felt I just had to post a picture of my sweet fur-baby (taken when she was a puppy)! As far as additional celebrations go... no, we won't be throwing a puppy party (we love her, but we aren't "those" people); however, Elizabeth DID help me sing "Happy Birthday" to her this morning (only in place of "Bella" she sang "Lanie" thanks in part to experiencing Delanie's 2nd birthday last weekend... and demanding to watch the adorable video clip about a hundred times! Of course, we don't think Bella, nor Delanie, would mind the slipup)

When I look at that picture, as cliche as it sounds, it truly seems like just yesterday that I brought her home from the shelter! It really brings me to tears! What an adventure she's taken us on in that short time! We love her SO much, despite her little eccentricies (although, to be honest, I think it's about time for some doggy prozac! For real!) To see her grow up so fast is very hard, especially considering dogs are here for such a short time! But hopefully we will be blessed with many more years with our wonderful, sweet, adorable Bella-Boo!

On a semi-related note, I found the following extremely sad... but a testament to how amazing dogs are. I'm not sure if dogs DO go to heaven, but I'd sure like to believe they do! What amazing spirits they have, what love, what loyalty... God truly blessed us with such a creation! I think even Cat-Lovers would agree!

From my grandpa, following the passing of my Great Uncle Merv to ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease): "Merv's dog, 'Pretty Boy,' died Saturday, A day after Merv's funeral of a Broken heart, according to the Vet. They revived him one time, but died shorty after. He was a constant companion to Merv for over 8 months."

And from my mom: "Grandma had told me his dog had been sitting by the door waiting for Merv. Finally one of the boys said, 'Papa isn't coming home,' and he moved away, but they had to take him to the vet because he was not eating or drinking anything and the vet could not find anything wrong (other than dehydration); they said he had a broken heart."

Truly, truly, truly... man's best friend!!!! Happy birthday, my sweet Bella!