As far as mommy and baby go... I'm growing and growing. Somehow, at my last two appointments, I'd only gained 1 lb each time!!! Not quite sure how that was possible, as my belly continues to expand ever outward! In fact, I've gotten to the point where random strangers have started asking me when I'm due, and seem very surprised when I tell them, "Not til June!" Another development (and blessing) was finding out I do NOT have gestational diabetes!!! After flunking my first glucose test, I had to take the 3 hour test to see how my body was processing sugars. Turns out (after 3 hours of waiting, and getting pricked 4x) that I'm okay! Whew! Still, they want me to watch my sugars/carbs and stay away from meats with hormones to try and keep the baby small. The doctors have given me a 60% success rate of delivering this baby vaginally. And at the last appointment the doctor said something like, "It'd be great if the baby would come around 37 weeks so that it'd have a good chance of delivering vaginally." Uh. Talk about pressure!
This week also brought on some new developments with Elizabeth. As mentioned in the previous post about our trip to the museum... Elizabeth has started verbalizing her emotions. Well, mainly just two... but still, a really cool development nonetheless!!! The first came on Friday. In the midst of a meltdown (she was trying desperately to push our umbrella stroller and it kept getting stuck), to which she finally yelled, "I'm mad!" The second verbalized emotion was that of fear... as in "Scared, daddy!" which we heard at least 4x at the Museum (mainly with regard to dinosaurs, but also to a donkey) and a few more times since returning home. Both verbalizations seem extremely advanced for a 19 months old (in my opinion), and we're hoping that means a less tumultuous "terrible" two stage since she can verbalize her frustrations and fears... rather than simply yell/scream about it. I guess we'll see.
Another development this week has been ALL ABOUT questions. Starting with watching mommy flush the toilet (I know, TMI), to which Elizabeth asked "Where'd it go?" To which mommy explained, "Down the hole?" to which Elizabeth asked, "Where'd it go?" To which mommy replied "Down the hole and into a big pipe" to which Elizabeth asked, "Where'd it go?" To which mommy explained, "Down the hole, and into a big pipe, and then deep underground" to which Elizabeth asked, "Where'd it go?" Anyway, I think you get my point. I think we had this conversation for close to 10 minutes one morning. Later that day, it was "Where'd the air-pane go?" To which mommy replied, "To the airport" To which Elizabeth replied, "Where airport go?" To which mommy replied, "Far away" to which Elizabeth replied, "Where air-pane go?" Again, I think you get my point... this week has been ALL about the questions!
Another funny thing Elizabeth has started doing this week, is referring to daddy as just plain dad. I'm not sure where she picked that up... but more and more frequently, this is how she will call for him! Equally interesting is how this week the word "Tan-too" (her way of saying thank-you) has evolved to Fu-tu. I think she's "trying" to make the "TH" sound... only it comes out "Fff" The only problem with this is that when she says it really fast (fu-tu), I worry that to the untrained ear it might sound like something entirely different (and definitely not polite). So we continue to exaggerate our "TH" as we say "Thank you" around the house, in hopes that she will get it right sooner, rather than later.
And as always, each week we are surprised with the words she will pull out of nowhere... this week, "Ambulance!" when she heard sirens... "Bicycle" to, well, bicycles she sees... and "Buffalo!" to a picture of a big bull in a magazine! That last one really cracked me up, since I haven't a clue where she'd ever even heard that word!
Anyway, we hope the rain will end soon... so we can enjoy more fun outdoors! Here's to a new week!











