December 16, 2007

This is Your Brain on Motherhood!

Okay, so at our last mommy-class, the guest speaker gave us some literature about how the brain actually gets smarter with each baby, which runs counter to other studies that claim the opposite. I'm not exactly sure which to believe, but I do know that my brain HAS changed since becoming a mother.

At any rate, I thought about the ways my brain has changed and came up with the following list. If you can relate to any of the following thoughts or cognitive symptoms, then your brain is definitely "on motherhood!"

1. You can remember entire lyrics to pretty much any nursery rhyme or song, but can't remember the last time you took a bath or washed your hair.

2. While communicating with adults, your brain forgets to turn off the "mommy jargon," and you somehow always begin with a "huh-whoa" and close with a "bye-bye." In between, the conversation often includes a "yeaaaa!" for no apparent reason.

3. You think the pacifier is the single greatest contribution to the human experience, and truly believe that whoever invented it should be awarded the Nobel Prize! Similarly, you spend long periods of time pondering what life was like before the paci... we're talking long periods of time!

4. You can't remember where you parked the car, but have conveniently thought to leave a trail of rattles, socks, pacifiers and other like items throughout the parking lot to guide you back to your vehicle (okay, well actually baby thought of this one).

5. You have begun to find the ceiling fan quite hysterical.

6. You no longer think of telemarketers as an annoying nuisance, but a wonderful way to find some adult conversation. You often spill your entire life story over the phone and find that for once they are the ones that hang up first.

7. At night, your mind fixates on how much sleep you could get if you could just fall aleep NOW..."If I fall asleep now, I'll get in 1 hour and 30 minutes sleep... Okay, I'm still awake, but if I fall asleep NOW I'll get 1 hour of sleep...Okay, 43 minutes... 22 minutes... 1 minute... why isn't the baby up yet?!"

8. You think that staying up to 10 o'clock at night is staying up late!

9. You often think about and question every little thing you do with your child: "Am I talking too much to the baby, or not enough? Am I smiling too much, or not enough? Am I providing enough stimulation? Enough tummy-time?" Sometimes, during these debate sessions, you even find yourself answering back.

And last but not least,

10. You can't begin to fathom what life was like before baby! ;)