Quick update:
Elizabeth's screams (see previous post) have transformed into motorboat noises. She pretty much does the motorboat noise all day long... at mommy, at her toys, at Bella. She isn't the best at it, so spit usually ends up everywhere.
She's been cracking up in hysterical laughs about once a day. For example, just today on the changing table mommy made the noise of a panting dog (don't ask me why) and it got Elizabeth to crack up. These giggle-fests usually last a good five minutes, enough time for me to grab the video camera and for her to be ready to stop (so no, I haven't caught it on camera yet). Mommy and Daddy both LOVE to hear her laugh... it truly is the sweetest sound I know! And usually melts our hearts every time we hear it!
Since the last post about her rolling over, she has rolled over another 6 times... all from her tummy to back. Each time she seems really surprised, but not really scared. I'm guessing this means she still hasn't mastered it, and it is sort of coming by accident. It won't be long, though, and I'm sure she will be doing it at will.
Tummy time has gotten much better. She used to scream almost even before being put in that position, but now she can go for up to fifteen minutes on her tummy, and can now push herself up with her ever strengthening arm muscles. And with her legs kicking, she usually ends up doing a 180 on her playmat.
I continue to wonder if teething is near... even though she is a bit young. She is chewing and slobbering on EVERYTHING... and her little mouth is starting to get chaffed from all the saliva. When she is biting down on something, she really goes at it. She has also started pulling herself off during nursing to bite her fist.
Her sleep patterns at night are not any better, in fact they seem to be getting worse. She used to sleep from 8:30 to 3:30 (which is 7 hours) then back to sleep until around 6 or 7. Now however, she wakes up around mid-night, having scooted her way to the edge of the crib, with her head bumping the bars (I removed her pads a while back; see previous post). I get up and move her and she sleeps until about 2:30, at which time she has done the same thing and is bumped against the bars. Thirty minutes later she is up, not having moved, but after waking up so many times, ready to eat. After calming her, she proceeds to wake up every thirty minutes, until around 4:30 at which time I decide to go ahead and nurse. After that she usually sleeps until about 8. A number of people have recommended starting rice cereal. But I think we will wait to see what the doctor says at our 4 month check up in January.
The monsoon spit up continues with almost every feeding. And you know your child is a spitter when you've gone from using the normal burp clothes, to entire swaddling blankets in order to catch all the spit. My mom says I used to do the same thing, and even during church I'd spit upon the people a few pews behind me. I guess Elizabeth's spittiness is somehow pay back.
Mommy and Daddy are doing well, but both are still really exhausted most of the time. I'm back down to my pre-pregnancy weight, yet I don't look it. With the holidays here and so many cookies coming in and going out of our house... it almost feels like some sort of cruel joke!!! But I went ahead and enrolled in an aquatic fitness class for me and Elizabeth which begins in February. After talking with some other moms, I realized the idea of fitting into a bathing suit by February might be the motivation I need to continue losing weight. Of course, I'm not going overboard with my exercise, nor am I dieting (that's a no-no with nursing).
Alright, I said this was going to be quick, and I've ended up writing a novel. I better go at this point! But know that we are thinking of you and can't wait to see you this Christmas! It is coming soon!
Until then,
Jen











