June 18, 2007

Tough Decision - 3D Ultrasound

When I first found out I was pregnant, I sort of assumed that I would elect to have a 3D/4D ultrasound in my third trimester. I made this assumption based on the fact that pretty much every pregnant person I knew had had it done… and the results were simply astonishing. Heck, I was so sure I would have it done, I even posted on this blog that 3D pix were forthcoming.

However, after discussing this with my doctor, and being warned strongly against it, I began to reconsider. Likewise, Vassil, who was very much against having it done from the very beginning, began to change my mind… as a scientist he is very skeptical of any type of so-called "safe" medications or medical procedures. At any rate, I decided I would research studies that had been conducted in hopes of proving my doctor and husband wrong. I assumed this wouldn’t be too difficult, after all, there are plenty of doctors out there who perform 3D ultrasounds on a regular basis. But after a few quick searches of the internet, I was surprised to discover that there actually aren’t too many legitimate studies (those not being funded by the 3D ultrasound companies) that were in support of the practice. One website in particular (http://www.askquestions.org/articles/ultrasound/) convinced me that I should NOT have it done.

This decision has me feeling a bit disappointed, especially since all along I had planned in my mind that I was going to have it done. Likewise, waiting to find out the sex has been painfully difficult, and so I was greatly looking forward to at least seeing the baby’s face before he or she was born. Likewise, I feel like I’m alone in choosing not to have it done. In the last two years at work, our middle school has been a BABY FACTORY with the teachers! I can think of around 10 teachers who have given birth or their spouse has given birth… and I can’t think of a single one who did not choose to have it done.

However, after consulting with my sister-in-law, Brenda, who is also pregnant, and finding out that she too has decided against it, I feel greatly alleviated. Like my doctor, her doctor also warned against it, saying that it is like an X-Ray… a few here and there won’t kill you, but you probably don’t wan to elect to have it done on a regular bases or for long periods of time.

With that said, I guess we will have to wait to see what this sweet baby looks like for a few more months. It’s a bummer, but it’s what I feel is best for the time being.

And I guess if I can wait to find out the gender, I can also wait to see what the baby looks like. What a wonderful and happy moment that will be!

Until then,
~Jennifer~