June 18, 2007

Father's Day Reflections

Father’s Day hit me harder this year than ever before, as it held new meaning. And, believe it or not, it actually left a stronger impact on me than Mother’s Day.

First of all, Father’s Day made me reflect on our heavenly Father and what He did for us, His children -- giving up His life and dying in our place. I’ve always wondered how a perfect, holy God could love such sinful and imperfect children, and not just love us, but to love us so sacrificially. Now that I’m expecting, I understand this kind of sacrificial love in a much deeper way than I had before. I know I’d do anything for my baby (flaws and all), even give up my life, so that it could live. Although God’s love for us is much more perfect and holy than the love I feel for my baby, I feel as though I understand this love a little bit better.

Secondly, Father’s Day this year had a huge impact as it made me reflect on what an amazing father Vassil will and already has been to our baby. For starters, Vassil is a father who will always be there for his baby--who will always be there to teach him/her about life, always be there to love and support him/her in growing up, always be there to witness all his/her developmental milestones and personal achievements, always be there to wipe away tears, kiss boo-boos (both physical and emotional), and always be there to be a shining example of what it means to be a hard-working, devoted, loving, Christian man. No... Vassil won’t be perfect, and I know I definitely won’t be. But I do know that he will make every effort to always do what he thinks is best for his baby and to never turn away from that bond. He will always be there! And that is all I could have ever hoped and prayed for!

When I was a young girl, I used to pray to God every night for hours and hours on end that He would send me the person most suited/perfect for me… someone I would love and adore and respect, and who would feel equal love, adoration, and respect for me. I worried that I would be blinded by love, or that I might make a mistake… and having lived through the divorce of my parents, I knew that above all, I didn’t want that to happen to me. The impact of divorce and an absentee parent is something that no child should have to go through, and I worried that I, too, might be a “fool in love” and end up with a bunch of kids, and all alone. And so as a little girl, I would pray that God would help me by sending me the person meant for me.

When I fell in love with Vassil, I knew it was God answering those childhood prayers. And now that it is Father’s Day, and Vassil and I are expecting, I realize that God also answered a prayer I never even prayed: that he would also send me a man who would be, not just an amazing partner, but an amazing father as well.

And I know this is SUPER cheesy, but on the way home from our BabyMoon the radio played this old Edwin McCain song, entitled “I Could Not Ask for More,” which to be honest, I never really cared much for… however, when I heard it, it brought tears to my eyes (Okay... in part due to the hormones, but in part also due to how much I related to the simple, yet powerful lyrics).

So to close, I’m ending with the lyrics to this song (I know this is sappy… but don’t hate).

I LOVE YOU VASSIL! You are going to be an amazing dad! And I could not ask for more!

Love,
Jennifer

"I Could Not Ask For More"

Lying here with you
Listening to the rain
Smiling just to see the smile upon your face
These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive
These are the moments I'll remember all my life
I found all I've waited for
And I could not ask for more
Looking in your eyes
Seeing all I need
Everything you are is everything to me
These are the moments
I know heaven must exist
These are the moments I know all I need is this
I have all I've waited for
And I could not ask for more

[Chorus]
I could not ask for more than this time together
I could not ask for more than this time with you
Every prayer has been answered
Every dream I have's come true
And right here in this moment is right where I'm meant to be
Here with you here with me

These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive
These are the moments I'll remember all my life
I've got all I've waited for
And I could not ask for more