April 28, 2007

Fortune Cookie















Today Vassil and I ate at one of our favorite fine dining establishments... Panda Express (LOL!) Our fortunes were interesting... but more interesting were the "Learn Chinese" tidbits on the back of each fortune. On mine was the word "Nu-er" which in Chinese means "daughter." On the back of Vassil's was the word "Yin-Hang" which means "bank." If fortune cookies are trying to tell us something... is it that we will have a daughter? And that we will spoil her with every last cent? That was our best guess... but who knows?

On a semi-related note, Vassil and I have been having fun predicting what the baby will be... a boy or a girl. Vassil continues to believe it will be a baby girl, and I continue to have no real feeling either way. We will be very pleased and happy with a boy or girl... and hope and pray only for a healthy and happy child!

According to the Ancient Chinese Birth-Prediction Calendar, I will have a girl. Of course, this prediction calendar claims to be only 78% accurate... leaving a pretty good chance for a boy as well. I'm curious to see if this "ancient calendar" will prove accurate for us, or if it is just some sort of silly gimmick.

Many people have been surprised to find we want to save this special surprise for the day we give birth. In such a high-tech society, finding out the sex during pregnancy is a convenience and luxury... and can be a great help in terms of planning and preparing for the little bundle. However, somehow I think our parents and our parents' parents probably were able to prepare and plan just as well without knowing the sex. Likewise, there are very few true and wonderful surprises in life... and this is definitely one of them. Why spoil it by finding out early... its like opening a present before Christmas... it just isn't the same.

~Jennifer~