April 15, 2007

The Beginnings...


















Everyone,

We are very happy to be starting this web-blog, and we hope it provides better information to those of you who live far and haven't been able to access our yahoo photo album. Stealing the idea from a collegue who just delivered her first child, I think it will be an excellent tool for keeping everyone in the know.

As we are currently entering our 20th week of pregnancy (Yes! Half way there!), let me take a moment to recap the exciting events that have occured so far.

SURPRISE!

Although I would love to report that Vassil and I had thoughtfully and carefully planned our first child, it didn't quite happen that way. While we are thrilled, discovering we were pregnant came as a huge surprise and shock at first.

Believe it or not, I was actually back in Kansas when I began to suspect that I was pregnant. At the last minute, I had hopped a plane to go see friends and family back home... and Vassil had stayed back at home. While back in Kansas, all the signs began to make me suspect (and fear - to be honest) that I had somehow gotten pregnant. Without Vassil there to comfort and support me, I have to admit I was beginning to feel a bit panicked. Sitting at a wedding reception of one of my best friends, in the company of another good friend (Meyo Urbina-Lugo)... I began to confide my concerns. Meyo, having two beautiful babies of her own... and knowing exactly what to do, promptly drove me to the Andover Walmart and helped me pick out several pregnancy tests. She begged me to take the tests right then in there in restrooms at Walmart... I told her I just didn't think it would be right to find out I'm pregnant at Walmart. To her dismay, I saved the sticks for a later date.

Back home, having taken and received the news that I was pregnant, I quickly wrapped my surprise and placed the gift among our other Christmas presents. Vassil and I took turns openning gifts, and I of course made him save this particular gift for last. Having openned all but one gift, and having not received a watch yet (an item he had requested), Vassil was sure the last gift was a nice watch. Boy was he surpirsed! Having opened the box, seeing the positive results, Vassil was quite in shock and couldn't believe it was true. He even thought I was playing a practical joke.. and he drove me to the closest drug store and made me take another test. "I'll believe it when I see it..." he kept insisting. Well, it wasn't long before he was a believer.

TELLING FAMILY

Vassil and I decided we would wait until 3 months to tell our family/friends. We were in such shock ourselves, I don't think we could have even uttered the words if we had wanted to any time before. We were very suprised, however, when Vassil's cousin, Gerri, announced that she was pregnant... and not just pregnant, but equally as far along as we were. Likewise, a month or two later, when Vassil's brother announced that his new wife, Brenda, was pregnant... again, we wanted to say, "We are too!" But we had decided to wait to tell... and not only that but if felt like we had a wonderful secret that only we knew, and when they would talk about the things they were going through with the baby, we would just smile, knowing they had no idea that we were also pregnant.

In order to finally tell our family, we purchased little gifts, such as a baby album that says "G is for Grandparents" and a picture frame that says "I love Grandma." Inside the gifts, we placed a picture of our first ultrasound... and mailed it off to our family. Vassil's parents had the best reaction... they couldn't figure out what the gift meant. They called on the phone and asked Vassil a million questions, to which Vassil was very coy an unforthcoming. His mom even said something like... "this appears to be a picture inside a woman's womb... but who's womb?" It was HILARIOUS! Finally he made it clear that we were pregnant... and they were ecstatic. My family was equally surprised and excited, especially when they did the calculations and realized I had been pregnant when I had visited them for Christmas. All in all, everyone seemed a bit mad that we had waited so long to tell, but very happy and excited! And we couldn't be more pleased to have such a wonderful reaction to the news and such strong love and support from our family!

DOCTOR VISITS

Since discovering the news, Vassil and I have been to the OB a number of times. The most memorable for me was seeing the baby for the first time on ultrasound (9.5 weeks). Although just a tiny peanut, it really brought home the fact that I am pregnant. Hearing the baby's heartbeat at 12 weeks was another milestone (Vassil said it sounded like a train), and then seeing it the latest time (17 weeks) on the ultrasound, actually looking like a real baby -- kicking, moving, even gulping down amniotic fluid... Wow!

CURRENT STATUS

Things are going great... now that I'm out of the first trimester (20 weeks), I'm feeling way better. First trimester I had morning sickness really bad each night... throwing up and all. I even lost weight the first 3-4 months. But now, I'm feeling better and have a great appetite. I haven't gained much weight, but my belly continues to grow and grow. I'm into maternity tops and it won't be long before the maternity pants are needed. The baby seems to be doing fine... kicking a lot at night. Last weekend (April 7), Vassil felt the baby kick for the first time... which really surprised me because I didn't think he would be able to feel it for a long time.

CLOSING

Well, I think that pretty much covers everything up until this point. I will be posting from time to time to keep you all informed on our status here. I will be posting belly-shots from time to time... and more shots of the baby (3-D & 4-D coming in a few months).

Feel free to leave comments on this blog or to email either of us.

We love and miss you all... we wish this blog wasn't necessary... but with so many of you so far away, it seems like the best alternative!


~Jennifer~