June 09, 2012

Birthday Boy

 This Saturday, we celebrated Liam's 3rd Birthday Party. 
I had been planning a few months before the party to do a "construction vehicle" theme... figure that they are his FAVORITE thing in the world and figuring that we already had a ton of construction trucks that we could use on tables and do cute things with... even a big pop up Bob the Builder bulldozer tent. 
 Well, he surprised me. Because when I asked, he told me, very matter of factly, that he wanted a "Puppy Party." Not sure exactly where he got this idea (unless maybe from his favorite book Go, Dog. Go! Where the dogs all race to a big tree... and come to find out they are at a Dog Party).
But at any rate, he didn't let the Puppy idea die, so we decided to go with it. We can always do trucks another year. But this might be our last chance to do a Puppy Party. Of course, as it goes, as soon as I bought some party supplies, he told me he wanted a Spiderman theme. I told him that would have to be for next year. He was fine with that.
For the party, we had lots of fun thinking of "puppy" themed ideas. The kids helped a LOT, especially Elizabeth who TOTALLY get's the concept of "themes." These puppy ears were super easy (brown fur fabric, hot glued to headbands). Elizabeth helped me trace the pattern onto the fur fabric... she LOVED helping!
A lot of things we had handy already... like this puppy shirt from last year that still fit. I didn't have a puppy shirt for Liam, but saw one day that Crazy 8 had some cute Polo shirts w/Puppy dogs on them... but the colors were green/yellow... but I really liked the blue/red combo for the party... and was SUPER excited when I discovered his puppy polo in blue/red at Gymboree and on sale for $7! Woot-Woot! It's the little things that make me happy! I ended up scanning his shirt (lol) to use as clipart for his invites so everything would match. 
"Come on in... let's Paw-tay!"
Family shot! :)
"I make puppies look cool..."
"The Spread" This theme was pretty easy... Hot dogs, Cocktail "Weinies", Puppy Chow, Crescent Bones, etc. and lots of fun to put together :)
 
Scooby Snacks = Graham Crackers :)
Puppy Chow = Cocoa Puffs :)
Puppy Dog Tails :)
 Bones = Crescent Rolls 
 Then Liam's Puppy Pals showed up! 
 We played  attempted to play a few games. "Fido Says" (like Simon Says) and Go, Dog! Go! (Stop, Dog! Stop!) like Red Light, Green Light. 
And we did some obedience training... jumping through hopes and running through tunnels. 
 Here they are listening to me and trying their best to follow the directions. 
 Such cuties! 
 After games, we had our lunch.
 Hot Dogs of course!
 Then it was time for cake... this is definitely NOT my best work. I did it very quickly. Normally I take a lot of time trying to get everything smooth and just so. But after, lets see, 7 birthdays (whew!) I'm getting a little burned out on cakes. 
 The tongue on the doggy cracks me up. It was supposed to be a fruit roll up, but I accidentally bought a box of fruit gushers... TOTALLY not the same thing. But rather than go back to the store, I tried rolling the fruit gushers together... lol! Looks like a wadded up piece of gum! Promise it's not! lol! Its the thought that counts, right?
Then it was time to sing Happy Birthday and blow out the candles... I promise I'll add a video to this space soon! Check back here!
 Liam got a little help from his buddies Jude and Jase--love it! :)
 Then came the big surprise. Our friend Lyndsey offered to bring over her pet puppies (10 week old mini-doxies) to let the kids check them out. 
 It was precious. No, we didn't keep one... in case you were wondering. 
 Look at Savannah with her puppy. 
 And Charlie getting some puppy kisses :)
In lieu of "goodie bags" I saw this idea on Pinterest for a Doggy Adoption station.
Each child got to adopt a (stuffed!) dog. They filled out an Adoption Certificate promising to take good care of their puppy... and they also had to name him/her. The names were hysterical. Lets see, Liam named his Ruff-Ruff, Savannah's was Lollipop, Jase's was Gracie, Jude's dog's name was "Catfood", there was a Carsyn and Delanie (named after some preschool friends of ours), Elizabeth named her's "Sputnik" (?!?!) and Tripp asked if he could name his Cigarette, but I told him he better think about that one--rofl!
Then the kids put some Pet Supplies in their "Doggy Bags" such as a tennis ball
Some Puppy Chow... a "Dog Collar"
 And even some Doggy Vitamins (not shown here, but just gummies)
 After adopting their puppy, they could check him/her out at the "animal hospital" making certain all the puppy's shots were up to date!
 Elizabeth helped me make the signs... and she drew the dogs below. 
 Pretty good, huh?!
 She was also VERY excited about showing everyone what to get for their "Doggy Bag" and was just a great big-helper overall. 
 After the party, we opened a few presents. I love how his expression changes. Serious above.
 Excited in this one...
 Completely and totally thrilled in the ones above and below! 
 It was all little things, too. He is EASY to please!
 Yep, that's my boy. 
My sweet, smart, sometimes whiny/fussy, but mostly sweet and cuddly little Liam.
I can't believe you are three, Mr. Man. 
Growing up too fast! 
I love you sweet boy!