December 07, 2008

Here We Go Again :)

Now that the cat is out of the bag, we'd like to formally announce... drum roll please... that we are once again blessed to be EXPECTING!

Vassil and I are so excited about the arrival of our second child that keeping it a secret this long has been extremely tough! We are already 12 weeks along; the baby's estimated due date, June 17, 2009.

And as you can imagine, we are SO very excited to be expecting again. The feeling of surprise and happiness this time around is very much the same as when we first found out we were pregnant with Elizabeth. Although already having gone through the experience once before, this time around I think we are both a tad less naive, and a tad more realistic. And while we are thrilled that we will have another bundle to hold and love and kiss... another bundle to watch smile and coo and grow and learn, at the same time, we are also preparing ourselves for the physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion that comes with a new baby... or that at least came with Elizabeth! So, yes, this time around we are a little more realistic about what to expect, yet we are simply thrilled and couldn't be any happier!

Also unlike our pregnancy with Elizabeth, this child was very much planned! As far as timing goes, it couldn't have worked out any better. For starters, we wanted Elizabeth to have a sibling close in age. Elizabeth will be close to 2 when the baby arrives (21 months), and because Elizabeth was born in Sept. (missing the Kindergarten cut off by 5 days) and this baby will be born in June, they will only be 1 grade apart! Can't get much closer than that. We were also careful with timing because we knew we would want/need Nana to come out and help with Elizabeth once the baby arrives.

Also impacting our timing of the new baby was the fact that Elizabeth HAD (emphasize HAD) been sleeping from 7:30 to 7:30 for close to three months straight... and with all that extra sleep, we were energized and ready for another baby. Of course, as it turns out, as soon as I found out I was pregnant, Elizabeth began waking up in the night again, and waking up for good around 5:30-6 am. Go figure!

To announce that we were expecting, Vassil wanted to wait until his family came down for Thanksgiving to do it in person. He really wanted to "see the look on their faces." He decided to slip it in over the Thanksgiving prayer. After thanking the Lord for all our blessings, he added something like, "And please bless the child that Kalina is carrying, and the one that Jennifer is carrying. And bless our family who couldn't be here today. We are thankful for all that you've given us, but especially for your son, Jesus Christ. Amen." After the prayer was said, Vassil's dad immediately picked up his fork and started eating. Becoming clear that he might not have picked up on it, especially since the prayer was said in English and slipped in very nonchalantly, I asked, "Did anyone get that?" To which Kalina said, "I think I did." Vassil turned to Ivan, who was already beginning on his turkey breast, some Bulgarian ensued, and finally he erupted in happiness, congratulating us on the baby to be. Too much fun!

For my family, Vassil wanted me to wait until Christmas. But having just told his family, I decided I couldn't wait that long. I mailed my mom a children's book entitled, Grandma Cat's Surprise. The story is about a little cat who mails a card to his grandma asking her to come right away... "Come by sea, or come by land... just come Grandma cat as fast as you can." At the end of the book you realize the reason Grandma cat is needed is because there's a new baby. I added my own message, writing, "More specifically, Nana Cat, can you come around June 17th? We'll need you then!" In this case, we almost literally let the "cat" out of the bag. And after getting the package, Nana Cat instantly called me... and even Vassil could tell she was elated, citing the fact that he could hear the entire conversation from another room!

I'm amazed at how fast this pregnancy is going by already, even though I'm not quite a 1/3 of the way through. I remember when I found out I was pregnant with Elizabeth, I read and re-read What to Expect... every single night. This time, however, I think I've cracked the book maybe twice. Not because I'm not interested in what is going on with the sweet baby inside me, but more because I have very little time and energy to read anything these days, and likewise because I feel much more prepared with what to expect this time around.

We still have SO much to think about with this pregnancy, though. Most important of our decisions has to do with whether or not I should opt for a repeat C-section, or try for a VBAC. In the past, most doctors were adamant about repeat C-sections due to the risk (less than 1%) of uterine rupture and thereby death/brain damage of the baby. However, most doctors these days are more supportive of VBACs after one previous cesarean, citing that these figures were a bit misconstrued and that there are serious risks with any abdominal surgery, including cesarean. I suppose we are leaning toward VBAC, but the decision is definitely one that weighs on me, and one that we will be praying about in the coming months.

At any rate, we ask that you pray for our family, and for the baby to be. Above all we hope and pray that he or she will be born healthy. And we ask that you keep this in your prayers as well, in the months ahead!