November 19, 2012

Halloween 2012

 Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh my!
...   ...   ...
Well, we've reached a milestone in our house. This was the very first Halloween that Mama had no control over costumes. In years past, I've either chosen their costumes, or still had enough influence that I could "sway" them to what I thought would be cute. Not this year. Elizabeth decided early on that she wanted to Tigress from the movie Kung Fu Panda. At first, I was kinda bummed. No one liked my idea (which was to dress as characters from the Bearanstain Bears, and I'd make little honey pots for their candy). I guess my ideas aren't cool anymore. Sigh. Doesn't ol' mom know that Tigress is what's COOL?!
 But then later I was thinking more about her idea, and it really was pretty cool. I mean, Tigress is, HANDS DOWN, a cooler idea than all those shi-shi princesses and ponies and fairies, that are so popular with girls this age. And honestly, Tigress is an awesome female character to look up to. Her Kung Fu is amazing! What a great female character to choose, right?! After some thought, I loved it. (above she's doing the famous "Shi-Fu" pinkie hold move).
 Well, once Elizabeth was set on her idea, I then decided I'd try to "steer" Liam to an idea that would fit her costume. I found the most adorable little "Ring Master" costume idea online that I thought would be SO cute, and we could make it kinda a circus theme... Liam the Ring Master, Sissy the Tiger, we even have a clown wig Daddy could wear. But no... he didn't like that idea. I don't think he really knew what a Ring Master was, and after a showed him a pic, he was dead set against it. Sigh. After some thought, he decided that he, too, wanted to be Tigress. We explained that Tigress was a girl, to which he said, he wanted to be a Tiger then. I had to smile. This boy loves his big sissy and just wants to be like her so much. Anyway, we were at Kid-to-Kid one day and we spotted a Lion costume. He LOVED it! I figured Lions, and Tigers, and Bears would work. And Since he was excited about the costume, we decided to go with that. So I guess I still had 50% sway this year... next year, I'm sure I will be completely out of the decision making process! But that's what makes Halloween fun, right?! Getting to be whatever YOU want to be! Gotta remind myself of that come next year!
 Trick-or-Treat was a ton of fun, as always. The kids scored tons of candy! 
 Here's our ghost family. This might be the last year of our ghost family. Liam has been petrified of ghosts ever since... he won't even let people repeat the phrase "Holy Ghost" he'll tell them, "Don't say that, say Holy Spirit!" lol! To top it off, they didn't survive Hurricane Sandy without looking a little worse for wear.
At any rate, here we are setting up for Halloween
 Goobers! 
They loved everything about Halloween... Liam had tons of questions and Elizabeth was old hat.
 Sissy helping me decorate our front walk way (which is in desperate need of a good power spray! Ms. Claus promised to give Santa one this year for just such a project! If she can find one on sale that is)
The pink chalk is all Elizabeth's handiwork! :)
I've gotta say, didn't do a whole lot this Halloween. I guess I just haven't been up to doing a whole lot lately, and then on top of that most of our buddies we normally see and do things with were either out of town, or it never worked out to get together. But, Elizabeth did get to wear her costume one day to Dance.
 We also carved pumpkins one night. I remember LOVING this when I was little. My kids, not so much. They do NOT like the feel of the gooey inside. Crazy to me, because that was my favorite part as a kid! That was back when Nickelodion was always "sliming" people, and I thought anything slimey was just awesome. They INSISTED on gloves! Again... crazy, right?!
 Anyway, Mama did most of the work. But daddy helped too. Oh, and Bella decided to join us, as you can see :)
Here they are all a-glow. Not bad, eh?
 Oh my little goobers! Love them!
Crazy to think what next Halloween will be like...! 
Until then,