Sorry for my absence from the blog.
We've been busy.
Very busy.
Don't believe me?!
Let me count the ways:
1) Since Elizabeth's dance recital (my last post), we spent nearly 3 weeks in Kansas with family. Going home is always a mixed bag... we are always excited to see everyone and I'm always happy to be "home", but at the same time it is exhausting to go from one day to the next visiting people here there and everywhere and trying to do and see everything in a short span of time. Its also stressful being "house guests," especially with two little ones who get tired and cranky and who are pretty typical siblings who love each other one minute, and fight like cats and dogs the next. Ugh! Not easy. And I'll be honest, it's sometimes not easy to come home to family who you haven't been around in awhile... it kinda takes time to "adjust" to personalities and the way people talk and interact with one another, hard to be around people 24/7 without a break. I think that's true of living with anyone, right? Just takes time to get used to people. And while we were super happy to be visiting, I will say, this trip was met with some unfortunate drama. I wish that hadn't been the case... but alas, it is what it is. My mom says all families fight. I guess that's probably true. And in our family we all have such STRONG personalities, that I know it's inevitable. The good thing, though, is everyone tends to let things blow over. No one holds grudges. At least, not that I know of. And we just move on. And I think we all know, at the end of the day, no matter what was said or by whom, we all love each other, and express that the best way we can. So despite all the drama and the exhaustion... to be around people who love you no matter what, even when you don't deserve it, is what's really important.
While in KS, Vassil and I toyed with the idea of maybe looking into a 2nd property in Wichita. Mainly so we can have our own space and privacy and can have everyone come to see us instead of having to shlep all over Wichita day in and day out. Logistically, it really doesn't make a ton of sense to have a 2nd property in Wichita, because we wouldn't want to rent it out, so it would sit empty, which is expensive and seems kinda silly. At the same time, I've told Vassil, too, it might make me more willing to finally call NC "home," if I know we also have a home in KS. I know its not the same as moving home. But that probably isn't going to happen. Ever. So I want to be content, and having a little home there, where my mom and I can decorate together and go to garage sales looking for furniture, where my kids can run and play in the backyard, and have a tiny "bit" of the Kansas life... even if that was only for a few weeks in the summer and winter, well, at least it would be something. Would make my heart content. Anyway, we went looking with an agent when we were there, but haven't had a chance to really talk about it more or research what all needs researching. More in the "dream" phase at this point.
2) Anyway, after our exhausting 3 weeks in KS, and our looong plane rides, which got us home around 11:30 pm... the very next morning we had to be up and at em to be at church by 9:30am to help with VBS set up. Not sure what I was thinking! We were exhausted. But we tried to help as we could, and then that entire week we had VBS at church which entailed a lot of work and was a ton of fun, but very, very exhausting. I think all we wanted to do was catch up on our sleep and rest... but VBS was having none of that. It ran Sunday through Friday from 5:30 to 8:30 and we didn't get home until past 9 most nights. It was a looong week. But the kids enjoyed it and learned a lot. So it was worth it, but meant there was no time to blog.
3) Since then, we've been trying to catch up on rest, housework, and doing general summertime things, like trips to the pool and park and birthday parties and playdates and finishing up the kids' T-Ball season. Here there and everywhere. And without preschool, its been hard for me to have any "down" time.
4) Also somewhere in the last few weeks I got it in my crazy head that I wanted to build/decorate a "mudroom" in the garage for all the kids shoes/coats/etc. I'm not sure what I was thinking doing this in the heat of August, but sometimes you get something in your mind, and you just have to run with it. So far, its about half way done. Still have some painting and a bit of carpentry left to do. When its done, its going to look so much better. AND it will serve a wonderful function... organizing all the kids "stuff." Shoes are hard to keep organized, especially because between the two of them they have SO many! Shoes for church in light/dark colors, flip flops, sandals, running shoes, cowboy boots, rainboots... where oh where did we get so many shoes?! Our "tools" have also never been truly organized since we moved in. They tend to get piled up on a shelf in the garage. But I'm tired of the piles. I want a place for everything, and everything in its place. So anyway, that has also consumed my time away from the blog.
I promise I will catch up soon. Although, frankly, when you get this far behind, its almost hard to know where to start? But, if you are desperate for some pics, feel free to check Facebook, where I uploaded our KS trip pics and some other summer pics.
Hope everyone is well and surviving this hot summer!
4 days ago











